Director, Physiology - Nutrition Sciences
PepsiCo is a global food and beverage leader with a product portfolio including 22 brands that generate more than $1 billion each in annual retail sales. Our main businesses - Quaker, Tropicana, Gatorade, Frito-Lay and Pepsi-Cola - make hundreds of enjoyable foods and beverages that are loved throughout the world.
At PepsiCo, you get the best of both worlds: an entrepreneur's mindset plus reach and resources. Our collaborative culture and worldwide presence generate a stream of new opportunities to define the future and propel your life's work. Bring your unique perspective. Bring curiosity. Bring ingenuity, and drive. We'll give you a platform to be daring on a global scale.
The Nutrition Science team requires the capability and expertise to undertake a broad range of research trials and research operations that enable the company to implement its research strategy. In addition, there is a need to interpret, communicate and translate nutrition science and the relationship between physiology diet and health. The conduct of original research to support claims, ingredients, products and health initiatives is a business-critical need for the Nutrition Sciences team as well as broadly across the company. This position is designed to lead the team responsible for the evaluation of proposed research programs in a wide area of nutrition sciences and provide leadership on the "fit for purpose" of research design and methodology, in addition to ensuring adherence to rigorous requirements in the conduct of research. Sound scientific principals in addition to a track record of guiding on the risk/reward of clinical programs will be required, in addition to the following:
- Provide leadership and direction in physiology across the global R&D community and to corporate strategy relative to feasibility of benefit positioning and claims.
- Risk/reward assessment of a clinical program investment relative to business outcomes, in partnership with regulatory and legal teams.
- Deep knowledge of physiology, biochemistry and nutrition. Knowledge of the science on nutrient digestion, absorption and metabolism and their impact on health outcomes are required.
- Expertise in experimental design for both clinical and non-clinical (meta-analysis/in vitro designs/modeling) research.
- Leadership guiding the communication strategy and materials regarding scientific outcomes of research for both internal and external stakeholders.
- Ph.D. in physiology, nutrition sciences or closely related field
- 10 years of experience/expertise with clinical program development and management
- Ability to lead and guide a team of experts
- Proven track record of risk assessment using solid science-based guidance to business strategy
- Proven track record in substantiation and compliance of benefit claims
- Proven experience evaluating research proposals and editing/revision of scientific manuscripts
- Proven publication record of peer reviewed scientific research in physiology/health
- 7 years working in CPG or pharmaceutical industries
- Creativity, Innovation and excellent communication skills
- Proven collaborative, leadership and influencing style
- Strong interpersonal, teamwork, and communication skills demonstrated by the ability to positively influence within and outside the organization
In recognition of its continued sustainability efforts, PepsiCo was named for the sixth time to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI World) and for the seventh time to the Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index (DJSI North America) in 2012.