Office Manager, bi-lingual
With more than 163,000 members in twelve states and Washington DC, 32BJ is the largest property service workers union in the country. 32BJ is affiliated with the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), an organization of over 2 million members united by a belief in the dignity and worth of workers and the services they provide. Our members are office cleaners; doormen, porters, and maintenance workers; bus drivers and aides; window cleaners, security officers and food service workers.
Our Hudson Valley District office, located in White Plains, represents approximately 4,000 members.
The Office Manager (“OM”) is the sole administrative position in the office. S/He serves as the office receptionist, must be responsive to members and staff, and must help to keep work organized. The OM may be assigned work outside the office as well.
The OM is the first point of contact for members who call or visit. Members may call or visit to discuss workplace issues, to get information about actions, to file a grievance or to play a volunteer role on union organizing campaigns or political mobilizations. When members present a grievance, the OM is responsible for formal intake.
- Phone coverage: receive general calls; redirect as appropriate;
- Greet and assist members in person; redirect as appropriate;
- Grievance Intake: collect and record required information from each member in order to open a grievance file;
- Serve as liaison to building management for purposes of maintenance and security;
- Schedule meetings and coordinate space, presentation materials, access for attendees, etc;
- Track and process membership forms; Maintain membership database;
- Serve as point person for Administration and Finance staff (NY Office); Enter new hire and other staffing changes into HR data system for further processing;
- General staff support (mailings, copying, filing, ordering supplies);
- On-site support for outside actions;
- Maintain office appearance;
- Process invoices for payment;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Three to five years of relevant work experience in an office environment, with increasing levels of responsibility;
- Ability to plan their work and operate independently to keep work organized, prioritize work and manage deadlines without close supervision;
- Attention to detail;
- Strong interpersonal skills, including working with a diverse audience;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in both English and Spanish required;
- Advanced office tech skills and experience, including the ability to adapt to 32BJ’s data systems; advanced skills in Microsoft Office must include proficiency with mail merge, creating templates and using Excel for analysis.